Sunday, May 4, 2008

5th Birthday Party--CHECK!

When River told me he wanted his birthday in the Botanical Garden, I was surprised and relieved. I miss the Garden, it is the best office I have ever had. While working in environmental education is fun and I like being in nature with kids, I have this strong professional streak that drove me away from the idea of doing another round of Bug Camp this summer. I have ended up, of course, in a basement office with no air flow or light and lately the Garden has been calling. River planned the whole party--I just implemented his ideas. And I was sure proud of what he came up with. He wanted to use the picnic table for painting rocks and eating cake, and the Tea House for presents (plus mom, the Teahouse would be a great place to go if it's raining). Then, key component, nature hike to Sacajawea and a snake hunt in the forest. The kids had a blast. The Garden is like a friend to me. I have spent enough time there that I know it intimately. Certain spots talk in low whispers and I actually feel them listen when I talk back. The plants love the children(as long as they don't pick at them) and since I shared their secrets with so many, they are open to my energy. Yesterday, when Riv and I went to check things out, I hugged a tree spontaneously for a good minute. Ahhhh...I'm back. Mornings into the Garden: HELLO GARDEN! I would declare while riding through to set up for a tour. What a special time that was. What a special place it is, and what a great birthday River had. THANK YOU GARDEN!

No comments: