Monday, May 5, 2008

Havin' A Margarita

An acquaintance just said "Happy Cinco de Mayo" to me as we hung up the phone. "Gracias" I said, "De nada" said he. Then I paused. I often say that at some point in my life I left my heart (corazon) in Mexico. Although not a fluent speaker I have learned a lot of the language, tasted the food, lived for periods of time as a volunteer and student, and traveled to a great deal of the country. So, why am I not having a margarita? Cinco de Mayo is an American Holiday promoted by the alcohol industry. This date commemorates the victory against French forces in the city of Puebla 1862. In Mexico this day is not memorialized as a huge event. Mexican Independence is really September 16th--I've heard that is a real party, although I have never been in country on that date. I know that in the U.S. this day is often celebrated by Mexican communities, and I also know that many see this an an American holiday. I just think it is interesting to note that the way we honor Mexico is not the way the Pais honors itself. The hierarchy established through historical subjugation remains in spite of the attempt to give recognition. This is what capitalism does to stuff. Markets it, for monetary gain, and robs it of its soul. Now I am sure there are lots of Americans who love Mexico and love Cinco de Mayo, and are listening to great music, pulling out the salsa moves and slamming a tequila shot--which I suppose is a pretty o.k. version of multiculturalism. But I just wanted to put out this little reminder, that this too is not as it appears.

No comments: