Thursday, May 22, 2008

STARTING A NEW LIGHT

Last week my horoscope in the Boise Weekly was particularly thought provoking. I am an addict of BW horoscopes. Basically, on Wednesday I hit the first dispenser I can, flip to the back page and read the Sagitarius segment immediately. Truly, I find very little else readable in the Weekly, besides of course, Nathaniel Hoffman's free-lance stuff. My distaste for the Weekly has continually been accentuated by Ted Rall, whose veiled racist comments about Barack Obama send me over the edge at least once a month. Last week the title of his piece was "Obama: The Other White Meat" and while the title itself was profoundly offensive, I found his lack of origin for the title within the piece describing how he thought Obama should've thrown himself in front of the train running over Reverend Wright to lack substance and insight. His repeated attacks on Obama are so suspect that I am close to writing yet another LTE to the Weekly begging them, again, to remove Rall's writing. But they never publish my letters, and they haven't removed Rall yet, so back to my horoscope. The reason I love Rob Brezsny's horoscopes so much is cause they are usually grounded in some metaphor or analogy and there was a period of about three months last year when he used words that directly linked to my experience...like when I was going Raw and the first sentence of my horoscope was: "Keep it Raw" That was cool. So now I use them as a weekly check in with unreality (I do in fact believe in astrology, although I see astrological predications as deeply intertwined with will and choice). Anyways, last week he used a metaphor of a gold miner singing a song about all the dreams of gold he had had for so many years and now he'd realized it was time to move on. That those dreams were not a reality. Rob said that there was a similar quest in my life, a place I had been mining for something precious for awhile, but that it was not gonna pan out. The good news: within a month of relinquishing my fruitless search I would easily come upon my treasure. Very enticing. Of course, because I am who I am, there are quite a few things that I have been involved in for varied periods of time in search of success, money, love etc. Which one is fruitless? I had my suspicions, but wasn't quite sure. And a week later, when my new horoscope has encouraged me to add humor in the midst of crisis (also very timely) I think I have a way of interpreting what the mining may be. I think its all of it. I think its a way of looking at the world, and an expectation added to it. I think it is the process of looking outside of myself for the things I crave most earnestly. I think it is time to flip upside down and appreciate the new vision that brings. Not change the mine, but rather the mind. Today, since my co-workers were out of office, I cleaned my little space. I moved old documents to storage, dusted, vacuumed, and most importantly hooked up an air purifier and added lamp lighting with daylight and compact fluorescent rather than the buzzing lights that have been above me for a month. I feel different, the space feels different and I sense the beginning of a new light. My favorite part of going to Bed, Beth and Beyond today for the purifier was when the guy helping me pick out bulbs said "You know, Tesla came up with compact fluorescents a century ago". YES! I know! Another fan of Tesla just out in the ether, another example of the threads that weave us together, of the potentiality within all of us for moving beyond the mine. Changing our minds and our lives.

No comments: